Full-Time Project Manager
2022 Data Science for Social Good Summer Fellowship
Carnegie Mellon University
DEADLINE: January 28, 2022
The Data Science for Social Good Fellowship is a summer program to train aspiring data scientists to work on machine learning and data science projects with social impact. Working closely with governments and nonprofits, fellows take on real-world problems in education, health, energy, public safety, transportation, economic development, international development, and more. For three months they learn, hone, and apply their data science, analytical, and coding skills, collaborate in a fast-paced atmosphere, and learn from mentors coming from industry and academia.
Project Managers are a critical component of the Fellowship. We are looking for project managers with 2+ years of experience managing technical projects with real-world impact. Project Managers work full-time for 12-weeks at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh. Project Managers manage 2 to 3 teams of 3 to 4 fellows each scoping and developing data science projects to help partner organizations solve real-world problems with social impact. Project managers will work closely with their teams, partner organizations, data science mentors, and senior staff to ensure that their teams have the resources and requirements they need to develop solutions that meet their partner organizations’ and societal goals.
What you will do
- Lead and assist teams planning, executing, and delivering projects;
- Coordinate teams’ work with project partners to gather the requirements and resources necessary to meet project goals;
- Manage team workflow, fairly distributing work across team members while taking into account skill, ability, and growth;
- Set up and manage tools and processes that facilitate project work, including project plans, calendars, communication channels, and code repositories;
- Schedule, plan, and lead regular team meetings and partner meetings;
- Communicate effectively inside and outside DSSG to keep leadership, partners, and other stakeholders appraised of project status and timelines;
- Work closely with Technical Mentor and senior staff to adjust project schedules, scope, and deadline and identify when teams need additional support;
- Provide feedback and facilitate timely reviews of team deliverables, reports, and presentations;
- Support DSSG-wide events, workshops, and meetings;
- Ensure all project artifacts and documents are stored and safely archived following project completion.
What we’re looking for
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in sciences, social sciences, public policy, business or another relevant field.
- Strong project management skills in agile settings for technology projects
- 2+ years of project management or consulting experience
- Experience working on real-world problems and passion for making a social impact
- Expertise in Microsoft Excel for project tracking, budgeting and resource management (e.g. knowing how to use vlookup function)
- Experience with online project management tools (e.g. Trello, Github)
- Ability and experience managing multiple projects at the same time
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multi-tasking skills
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Advanced degree in the sciences, social sciences, public policy, business, or another relevant field preferred
- 5+ years of project management or consulting experience
- Proficient with Word, Google docs, and generally technically savvy
- Product management experience
- Experience with data science workflows and software engineering methodologies