Program Management Intern
2022 Data Science for Social Good Summer Fellowship
Carnegie Mellon University
The Data Science for Social Good Fellowship is a summer program to train aspiring data scientists to work on machine learning and data science projects with social impact. Working closely with governments and nonprofits, fellows take on real-world problems in education, health, energy, public safety, transportation, economic development, international development, and more. For three months they learn, hone, and apply their data science, analytical, and coding skills, collaborate in a fast-paced atmosphere, and learn from mentors coming from industry and academia.
The Program Management Intern supports the program by providing administrative support to the Program Director, Project Managers, Data Science Mentors, and Fellows, while getting exposure to the program, projects, and partners. Administrative interns will work closely with the Program Director to ensure that all aspects of the DSSG summer program are properly planned and supported. We are looking for interns with experience in program administration, event planning, and communications who want to grow their experience and skills in program management with a special focus on this unique program that works at the intersection of data science, machine learning, and public policy.
This is a full-time, term position lasting 14 weeks from May 23, 2022 to August 26, 2022 in-person at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh.
What will you do?
- Plan and organize internal and external events
- Coordinate with visiting scholars and other program stakeholders to arrange travel, lodging, and reimbursements
- Provide technical support during conference calls and events
- Guarantee liaison with other internal departments (e.g. communication, legal, finance)
- Develop guides about local amenities and support fellows with external services
- Maintain and update website with information about program activities and accomplishments
- Support communications with project partners and other program stakeholders
- Update and maintain the program’s social media presence and other digital assets
- Develop and facilitate fun activities
- Generally assist with tasks for Program Director, Project Managers and Data Science Mentors
- Other administrative support duties as assigned
What are we looking for?
- Experience providing administrative support to programs, especially a training program in an academic setting
- Experience coordinating and communicating with stakeholders, especially from academic, government, and nonprofit organizations
- Experience planning and organizing events, including arranging speakers, vendors, logistics, and budget
- Experience communicating with digitally, maintaining digital assets, such as website and social media, graphic design experience is a plus.
- Interest in the use of data to inform public policy decision, experience working with governments or nonprofits to use data to inform public policy decisions preferred
Hours may vary week to week but not to exceed full-time.